Re: HTML email (was Re: Vacuum and Reindex hangs

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HTML email (was Re: Vacuum and Reindex hangs
Date: 2009-01-15 21:09:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 15, 2009, at 1:02 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Jason Long
> <mailing(dot)list(at)supernovasoftware(dot)com> wrote:
>> Steve Atkins wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm sure none of that other than the last actually applies to you,
>>> but
>>> those are
>>> the expectations you set by using HTML email and then insulting all
>>> the list members when someone asks you to stop. That's not the way
>>> to get
>>> useful help from a technical peer support list.
>>
>> Fair enough and I had no intention of insulting anyone. Being anal
>> is not
>> necessarily a bad thing. :)
>
> I certainly wasn't offended. It seemed like an honest question.

I wasn't either. But while this is a less prickly environment than some
technical mailing lists, it's still pretty prickly, and there's a risk
some people
were offended by being described as anal (even if, or perhaps especially
when, it's an accurate description :) ).

I find HTML mail quite useful when I know that all the recipients can
read it - but it tends to harm communication when some of the recipients
can't. In the latter case I find plain text mail, possibly with attached
diagrams or embedded URLs to web docs more useful than inline
HTML. That's technical mailing lists, pretty much.

Cheers,
Steve