Re: how could duplicate pkey exist in psql?

From: Edson Richter <richter(at)simkorp(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how could duplicate pkey exist in psql?
Date: 2011-11-17 09:38:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Em 17-11-2011 03:19, Yan Chunlu escreveu:
> recently I have found several tables has exactly the same pkey, here
> is the definition:
> "diggcontent_data_account_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (thing_id, key)
>

> the data is like this:
>
> 159292 | funnypics_link_point | 41
>
> | num
> 159292 | funnypics_link_point | 40
>
> | num
>

> I could not even update this record.
>
> really confused about how could this happen... thanks!

I know one scenario this can happen on Linux. In my case, it was caused
by a "rsync"... instead copy to a different location, script was copying
pg_xlog over own pg_xlog.

I did this stupidity once, and learned for a life time. Lost two hours
of work to recover everything (from backup, at least I had one).

Be careful with rsync and cp, since Linux does not block files from
being overwriten even when they are in use.

Regards,

Edson.