Re: Grouping logs by ip and time

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: Alex Thurlow <alex-reports(at)blastro(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Grouping logs by ip and time
Date: 2011-11-08 18:48:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/11/2011 17:59, Alex Thurlow wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a table which stores action logs from users. It looks
> something like this:
> log_type text,
> date date,
> "time" time without time zone,
> ip inet

[snip]

> What I'd like to do is be able to group these logs by sessions based on
> the IP and the time range so I can figure out the time taken between
> each action.

Would something like this work? -

select ip, max("time") - min("time") as session_duration
from log_table
group by ip;

This doesn't take the date into account - what happens if the session
spans midnight? You can get around this by using a timestamp column
instead of separate date and time.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland