Replication between 64/32bit systems?

From: Hannes Erven <hannes(at)erven(dot)at>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Replication between 64/32bit systems?
Date: 2011-09-20 20:26:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi folks,

I'm planning to set up streaming replication from one master to one
slave. I've read at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/warm-standby.html that the
"hardware architecture" of both systems must be the same.

Sure enough, what I'd really like to do is replicate from a Windows (or
Linux) 64bit master to a Linux 32bit slave -- that's what I currently
have easily available.

I tried just following the instructions and copied the data directory to
the slaves, but postgres does not start:
FATAL: falsche Prüfsumme in Kontrolldatei
(FATAL: wrong checksum in control file)

So I'd like to ask if there is anything I could do by e.g. changing
compile-time options at the slave to get things going?

Thank you for any advice!,
best regards

-hannes