Roles and passwds

From: "Birchall, Austen" <austen(dot)birchall(at)metoffice(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Roles and passwds
Date: 2013-03-19 11:39:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

I created the following role

postgres=# create role sde LOGIN PASSWORD 'passwd' SUPERUSER NOINHERIT CREATEDB;
CREATE ROLE
postgres=#

However from the command line as the postgres user I can do
-
-bash-4.1$ psql -d testdb -U sde
psql (8.4.13)
Type "help" for help.

testdb=#

So logging on to the testdb database without entering a password.

Is this expected behaviour?

More importantly my colleague can connect to the database as the sde user via a client side GUI by entering any value in the password dialogue box.

Doing the following didn't help:

testdb=# alter role sde WITH PASSWORD 'passwd';
ALTER ROLE
testdb=# alter role sde valid until 'infinity';
ALTER ROLE

How can I setup the passwd for the sde role?

Many thanks

Austen Birchall
Senior DBA
Met Office