Standbys which don't synch to disk?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Standbys which don't synch to disk?
Date: 2011-05-11 17:12:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii, Simon,

For 9.1, both master and replica in a sync replication relationship are
required to be fsync'ing to disk. I understand why we had to do that
for our first cut at synch rep. Do you think, though, that it might
become possible to replicate without synch-to-disk for 9.2?

The use case I have is cloud hosting, where I'd rather have two or three
synchronous standbys than synch to disk.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.