Re: priority on a process

From: "Chris Palmer" <chris(dot)palmer(at)geneed(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, "pg-general (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: priority on a process
Date: 2003-05-16 19:50:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe writes:

> Also, if your machine has memory to spare, look at increasing
> the effect cache size.

Doesn't Linux automatically grow the fs cache/buffer to most of
available memory? The OP said he was using Linux.

On e.g. OpenBSD you would have to set the size in the kernel config, but
Istr Linux doesn't need that. Granted, I haven't followed Linux closely
since the 2.2 days, and I know there has been some VM hilarity in the
"stable" 2.4 series. So maybe someone can update my old understanding...