Unicode confusion

From: "Chris Palmer" <chris(dot)palmer(at)geneed(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unicode confusion
Date: 2003-05-09 23:47:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

As you can see, at:

http://www.nodewarrior.org/chris/unicode.png

I am very confused. My database is set to Unicode encoding:

> psql -p 9000 -l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-----------+------------------------+-----------
japanese | GENEEDINC+chris.palmer | EUC_JP
template0 | GENEEDINC+chris.palmer | SQL_ASCII
template1 | GENEEDINC+chris.palmer | SQL_ASCII
test | GENEEDINC+chris.palmer | SQL_ASCII
unicode | GENEEDINC+chris.palmer | UNICODE

I'm using Pg 7.3.2 and pg73jdbc3.jar.

According to *The Java Programming Language, Third Edition* (p. 138), "...you can use the escape sequence \uxxxx to encode Unicode characters, where each x is a hexadecimal digit...". Therefore, shouldn't I see "262f 0b87" in the hex editor? It seems I'm not getting the same stuff out that I am putting in. psql is not much help; it just shows wacky characters (4 of them: "â¯à®").

Am I doing something wrong? Does something need to be set in the database or in the JDBC Connection object? Or am I just a confused monkey?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

--
Chris Palmer Systems Programmer GeneEd