Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Date: 2011-04-18 04:48:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Now we could certainly make this quite a bit slicker. Apart from
> anything else, we should change the indent source code tarball so it
> unpacks into its own directory. Having it unpack into the current
> directory is ugly and unfriendly. And we should get rid of the "make
> clean" line in the install target of entab's makefile, which just
> seems totally ill-conceived.

I think the script I submitted upthread has most of the additional
slickness needed here. Looks like we both were working on documenting a
reasonable way to do this at the same time the other day. The idea of
any program here relying on being able to write to /usr/local/bin as
your example did makes this harder for people to run; that's why I made
everything in the build tree and just pushed the appropriate directories
into the PATH.

Since I see providing a script to automate this whole thing as the
preferred way to make this easier, re-packaging the indent source
tarball to extract to a directory doesn't seem worth the backwards
compatibility trouble it will introduce. Improving the entab makefile I
don't have an opinion on.

> It might also be worth setting it up so that instead of having to pass
> a path to a typedefs file on the command line, we default to a file
> sitting in, say, /usr/local/etc. Then you'd just be able to say
> "pgindent my_file.c".

OK, so I need to update my script to handle either indenting a single
file, or doing all of them.