Re: Sync Rep v17

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Daniel Farina" <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sync Rep v17
Date: 2011-03-02 20:45:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> allow_standalone_primary=off means "wait forever". It does nothing
> to reduce data loss since you can't replicate to a server that
> isn't there.

Unless you're pulling from some persistent source which will then
feel free to discard what you have retrieved. You can't assume
otherwise; it's not that rare a pattern for interfaces. We use such
a pattern for accepting criminal complaints from district attorneys
and sending warrant information to police agencies. Waiting a long
time (it won't *actually* be forever) is better than losing
information.

In other words, making a persistence promise which is not kept can
lose data on the client side, if the clients actually trust your
guarantees.

-Kevin