Re: Postgres Replication Options

From: CS DBA <cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
Cc: "Rangi, Jai" <jrangi(at)automotive(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Replication Options
Date: 2011-02-09 16:53:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

One of the main considerations per Hot Standby vs SLONY is replication
scope. With Hot Standby you get everything that occurs in the cluster,
across all databases. With SLONY you are limited to at most a single
database per "SLONY Cluster", and you can define replication sets which
only contain a sub-set of the tables in the database. So, IMHO I'd go
with Hot Standby if I wanted to replicate the full cluster and SLONY if
I wanted to "slice & dice" tables and target slaves (i.e. replicate all
tables for a single db to slave 1, only 50 tables to slave 2, etc...)

--hope this helps

/Kevin