Re: What's canceling autovacuum tasks?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)unicell(dot)co(dot)il>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's canceling autovacuum tasks?
Date: 2011-02-06 17:52:28
Lists: pgsql-general

on 06/02/11 18:16, quoting Tom Lane:

> Most likely, some other session requested an exclusive lock on the
> table. Autovacuum will quit to avoid blocking the other query.

That's strange. During the day, only selects are running on that
database, or at worst, temporary tables are being created and updated.
And that particular table gets updated only on weekends (it's one of my
archive tables). Besides, I assume that a simple update/insert/delete is
not supposed to request an exclusive lock, or autovacuum would not work
at all in an average database. Even backups don't run during the day,
and I think backups also don't create an exclusive lock or I'd never see
a vacuum process run more than a day.

This is really inexplicable.

Herouth