Re: REVIEW: EXPLAIN and nfiltered

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>,<depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>, <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: REVIEW: EXPLAIN and nfiltered
Date: 2011-01-21 02:17:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Kevin Grittner
> wrote:
>> Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>>> I think filtered is pretty clear and like it...
>>
>> I find it ambiguous. [Takes sip of filtered water.]
>
> Oh, you mean water that had some things you didn't want taken out
> of it?

Right -- God only knows the number of things were filtered out to
leave me with filtered water. What's "filtered" in this case is what
was passed through, not what was removed.

I hadn't even thought about "filtered" as meaning the input to the
filtering process until Tom mentioned it, but on a different day, in
a different mood, it might also be what I assumed was meant by
"number filtered".

It's kinda hard to imagine a *more* ambiguous term.

-Kevin