Re: pg_dump and XID limit

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Elliot Chance" <elliotchance(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Vladimir Rusinov" <vladimir(at)greenmice(dot)info>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and XID limit
Date: 2010-11-24 14:54:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Vladimir Rusinov <vladimir(at)greenmice(dot)info> wrote:

> I think it would be advisable not to use pg_dump on such load.

Agreed.

> Use fs- or storage-level snapshots instead.

Or PITR backup techniques. Or hot/warm standby. Or streaming
replication. Or one of the many good trigger-based replication
products. Just about any of the alternatives would be better than
pg_dump in the described scenario. If you leave any transaction
open for hours during a heavy OLTP transaction load you're probably
going to get unpleasant bloat in your database.

-Kevin