Re: NoSQL -vs- SQL

From: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NoSQL -vs- SQL
Date: 2010-10-12 02:41:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/11/2010 8:50 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Carlos Mennens
> <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Just wondering how you guys feel about NoSQL and I just wanted to
>> share the following article...
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10770
>>
>> Looking to read your feedback and / or opinions.
>
> Here's my opinion. Key-value store is NOT NEW. Calling it a new name
> (NoSQL) is kind of counter intuitive for me. I've used key-value
> stores since I wrote my first program in 1985.

Yep! +1

I used "nosql" back in the dos days, using btrieve running on a novell
server. Was pretty wicked fast... but... we had to store things with
horrible keys, because all the children needed the parent key + child
key + index. sucked.

I hated writing reports, alot! There was no sum or group by or joins..
ick. I never want to go back.

Moving from key/value to relational db was like moving from a tricycle
to a 10-speed bike.

-Andy