Re: large dataset with write vs read clients

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: Florian Weimer <fw(at)deneb(dot)enyo(dot)de>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Aaron Turner <synfinatic(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: large dataset with write vs read clients
Date: 2010-10-09 21:35:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have a logical problem with asynchronous commit. The "commit" command
should instruct the database to make the outcome of the transaction
permanent. The application should wait to see whether the commit was
successful or not. Asynchronous behavior in the commit statement breaks
the ACID rules and should not be used in a RDBMS system. If you don't
need ACID, you may not need RDBMS at all. You may try with MongoDB.
MongoDB is web scale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA