Re: unintuitive subquery record wrapping

From: Rikard Pavelic <rikard(dot)pavelic(at)zg(dot)htnet(dot)hr>
To: Arjen Nienhuis <a(dot)g(dot)nienhuis(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unintuitive subquery record wrapping
Date: 2010-09-18 10:40:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18.9.2010 11:36, Arjen Nienhuis wrote:
> I'm not sure what you want but maybe it's this:
>

> => select * from (select t from t) sq;
> -------
> (1,x)
> (1 row)
>
> => select (sq.t).* from (select t from t) sq;
> a | b
> ---+---
> 1 | x
> (1 row)

I know how to expand record to type or set by hand. That's not the issue.
I'm just trying to understand if changing type of record when alias is
different is intentional decision or unintentional.
Because, if it's unintentional, I would like it to get fixed
(I guess I'll have to take a look at the code if nobody answers me).

I don't see any benefit in loosing type info because variable alias
don't match.

Regards,
Rikard