Re: InitDB: Bad system call

From: Torsten Zühlsdorff <foo(at)meisterderspiele(dot)de>
To: Glen Barber <glen(dot)j(dot)barber(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: InitDB: Bad system call
Date: 2010-08-15 16:07:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

>> Well, this seems to be clear proof for what everyone suspected all
>> along: your kernel is rejecting SysV-shared-memory calls. I'm too tired
>> to go check that that shmctl() is the first such syscall during the boot
>> sequence, but it looks about right.
>>
>> So we're now back to the question of *why* it's rejecting those calls,
>> when you apparently have the proper support configured. I'm afraid
>> you now need to seek the assistance of some FreeBSD kernel experts;
>> it's beyond the ken of a simple database hacker ...
>>

> 7.0-STABLE is ... old. I would recommend upgrading to something more
> recent before moving forward with this "bug", as I expect the FreeBSD
> community to recommend such anyway.

FreeBSD 7 is from 2007. Thats not very old - you use FreeBSD for
services which just should run (like postgresql :)). In my supervised
server-park are half a dolzen FreeBSD-Server with uptimes around 7
years. Upgrading is something you do very very rarely. And till now i
didn't get such recommendation from the community. Its more likely to
add a new server with a new Version of FreeBSD.

Hm... i can't start debugging the kernel of a live-maschine. I will add
a new server therefor. Maybe i can reproduce the problem at another
machine for the FreeBSD-Community.

Thanks to all for you help und time,
Torsten