Re: password administration

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: password administration
Date: 2010-08-05 20:20:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 8/5/10 12:58 PM, Mark Steben wrote:
> I would like to set up a facility that enforces password changes for roles
> After a predefined period (30 days for instance) when logging into psql
> Or, at the very least, send an email out to notify that your current
> Password period is about to expire. Preferably, I'd like to use
> The 'rolvaliduntil' column in pg_roles.
>
> I'm wondering if there is an app inside or outside of postgres
> that I can use or do I have to design from scratch.

This is an off-topic response, but security experts have said that this is a REALLY bad idea. It forces people to choose a new password, which means they can't remember it. So what do they do? They write it down. Anyone snooping around their office can find it.

Besides, when a password is stolen, it's usually used within minutes. Making everyone change every month does no good at all.

A better solution is to implement a password-strength algorithm and require people to select decent passwords to begin with.

Craig