do I need a table function to do this?

From: Kirk Wythers <kwythers(at)umn(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: do I need a table function to do this?
Date: 2012-12-29 21:44:15
Lists: pgsql-general

I have been given an interesting problem to solve in a postgres db. I was given two tables

t1:

site treatment variable id (pk)
A X BLUE 1A
B Y RED 2B
A Y GREEN 3A

t2:

rowid (pk) timestamp BLUE RED GREEN
1 1332493200 3.4 2.1 5.8
2 1332496800 3.2 2.0 5.8
3 1332500400 3.3 2.2 6.0

I need to combine the site and treatment information from t1 with the variable records in t2. I think I will have to combine these one variable at a time. Something like this (I'm not using the word join, because I don't think this is a join in the regular sense. It's more like some kind of crazy pivot table thing!):

t3:

rowid (pk) timestamp BLUE site treatment
1 1332493200 3.4 A X
2 1332496800 3.2 A X
3 1332500400 3.3 A X

and then: