[Pljava-dev] building pljava for solaris 10 sparc 64bit

From: pierce at hogranch(dot)com (John R Pierce)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] building pljava for solaris 10 sparc 64bit
Date: 2010-04-15 22:43:02
Lists: pljava-dev

Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> so I've been having fun getting pl/java 'HEAD' working with Postgres
>> 8.4.3 64bit on Solaris Sparc, with JDK 1.5.0_23 64bit...
>>
>> ERROR: could not load library "/opt/FIS/pljava/pljava.so": ld.so.1:
>> postgres: fatal: libjvm.so: open failed: No such file or directory
>>
>> These are in the postgres server 'start' method script (I'm running
>> postgres under SMF control)
>>
>> JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0_23
>>
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/sparcv9:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/sparcv9/server:/opt/FIS/pljava
>>
>> PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin/sparcv9:$PATH
>>

> I'm not familiar with SMF, but putting environment variables into
> start scripts often doesn't work because they start as root and then
> su to the user running postgres and when that happens the current
> environment is scrapped and replaced by that of the postgres user's.

this script is setting PGBIN, PGDATA, and PGLOG before running pg_ctl,
so I am pretty sure its already in the target user. yes, indeed, SMF
has a service property "method_context/user astring postgres" which
specifies what user to run the start method as, so its looking like
changing the user is done -before- running this script.

what alternative methods would you suggest for getting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
etc setup ?