Re: Allow non-superuser to cancel superuser tasks.

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Leung, Anthony" <antholeu(at)amazon(dot)com>, Kirill Reshke <reshkekirill(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow non-superuser to cancel superuser tasks.
Date: 2024-04-02 11:35:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2 Apr 2024, at 01:21, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I haven't looked too closely, but I'm pretty skeptical that the test suite
> in your patch would be stable. Unfortunately, I don't have any better
> ideas at the moment besides not adding a test for this new role.

We can add tests just like [0] with injection points.
I mean replace that "sleep 1" with something like "$node->wait_for_event('autovacuum worker', 'autocauum-runing');".
Currently we have no infrastructure to wait for autovacuum of particular table, but I think it's doable.
Also I do not like that test is changing system-wide autovac settings, AFAIR these settings can be set for particular table.

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=eeefd4280f6