upgrading, but learned about pg_dumpall too late

From: "Richard O(dot) Hammer" <rhammer(at)FastMail(dot)fm>
To: PostgreSQL admin list <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: upgrading, but learned about pg_dumpall too late
Date: 2010-02-20 21:26:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I hope someone can tell me how to recover my database tables. I recently
upgraded to a new Linux server. First I saved a copy of my
/var/lib/pgsql/data/*, which was created with PG version 7.4. On the new Linux
server I have PG version 8.1.11.

But now, trying use my old tables, I discover that I should have saved the
tables with the pg_dumpall command before I abandoned the version-7.4 Postgres
server. Unfortunately I did not know about pg_dumpall.

So now I'm wondering if there is a way I can read and update my version-7.4 data
directory with my version-8.1 postmaster.

Here is one thing I've tried:
bash-3.2$ pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql/old/data
FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.4, which
is not compatible with this version 8.1.1

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Rich Hammer
Hillsborough, N.C.