Re: Huge iowait during checkpoint finish

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anton Belyaev <anton(dot)belyaev(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Huge iowait during checkpoint finish
Date: 2010-01-12 01:22:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Greg Smith wrote:

> If the old system had a write caching card, and the new one doesn't
> that's certainly your most likely suspect for the source of the
> slowdown.

Note that it's even possible that the old system had a card with write
caching enabled, but *no* battery backed cache. That's crazily
dangerous, but does get you the speed benefits of write caching without
the need for a BBU. I only mention this to help explain a possible
performance difference - you should NEVER do this if you care about your
data.

--
Craig Ringer