Re: performance config help

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bob Dusek <redusek(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance config help
Date: 2010-01-11 23:17:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> The DDR3 Nehalem and DDR2 AMD are both actually pretty close in real
> world use on 4 or more socket machines. Most benchmarks on memory
> bandwidth give no huge advantage to either one or the other. They
> both max out at about 25GB/s.

The most fair comparison I've seen so far is
http://www.advancedclustering.com/company-blog/stream-benchmarking.html
which puts the faster Intel solutions at 37GB/s, while the Opterons bog
down at 20GB/s. That matches my own tests pretty well too--Intel's got
at least a 50% lead here in many cases.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com