Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2010-01-08 20:24:38
Lists: pgsql-www

>> And, btw, Wheeler's PGAN proposal (on hackers) obviously does not
>> address drivers, applications, developer tools, etc. But I'd say that
>> for those, an expansion of the existing application listing service we
>> have makes more sense than preserving pgFoundry as an extremely
>> inefficient directory.
>
> Err, yes. That sounds like a good idea :-p

Ok, I misunderstood you. Then we're in accord.

My basic thinking is that rather than trying to fix pgFoundry or replace
it with some single piece of software which addresses the 7 things
people use pgfoundry for, we should instead look at those 7 services as
*separate* web services for postgresql.org, and address them with
separate, *simple* pieces of software. Therefore:

Source Code management:
git.postgresql.org
Launchpad, code.google.com, SF.net, etc.

Listing and Searching of PG-related Software:
Software Catalog
search.pgan.org (for extensions)

Distribution and Installation of PG-related Software:
StackBuilder
pgan.org (for extensions)

News Feed:
projects-planet.postgresql.org, or similar

Web Pages:
expansion of Software Catalog, or a wiki

Unsupported Mailing Lists
mailman server

File Sharing, with permissions:
some other tool, or SocialText account.

As you can see, none of the above requires us to operate a collab
environment. In fact, given our experience, I'm wondering if the whole
concept of a collab environment is flawed.

--Josh Berkus