Re: DB is slow until DB is reloaded

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Madison Kelly <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB is slow until DB is reloaded
Date: 2010-01-04 22:13:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

Madison Kelly wrote:
> I think for now, I will stick with 8.1, but I will certainly try out
> your repo edit above on a test machine and see how that works out. I
> am always reticent to change something as fundamental as postgres
> without "good reason". I guess I am a fan of "if it ain't broke...". :)

PostgreSQL has many fundamental limitations that cannot be resolved no
matter what you do in 8.1 that are fixed in later versions. The default
behavior for the problem you're having has been massively improved by
updates made in 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4. 8.1 can certainly be considered
broken in regards to its lack of good and automatic VACUUM and ANALYZE
behavior, and you're just seeing the first round of issues in that
area. Every minute you spend applying temporary fixes to the
fundamental issues is time you could be better spending toward upgrading
instead.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com