Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date: 2009-12-20 20:19:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> Ten or so years ago MySQL was better than Postgres95, and it would have
> been easy to justify using MySQL over Postgres95 (which was really slow
> and had a fair number of bugs). But Postgresql is much better than MySQL
> now. That's just my opinion of course.

Really?!?

MySQL development started in '94; and their first internal release was May 95.[1]

At that time Postgres's SQL language support was new, but didn't the underlying
database already have a half decade of history that surely was more mature
than MySQL at the time?

I thought the main justification for MySQL back then is that they had
better Win95 support (and a quality control philosophy that more matched
the old pre-NT windows that favored time-to-market over correctness).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL#cite_note-21