Re: Possible causes for database corruption and solutions

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Clark <codingninja(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible causes for database corruption and solutions
Date: 2009-12-16 19:05:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
> <mailto:greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
> I hope that Mac OS X turns off write caches on low battery.
>

> I've never heard of such a thing. The best you can do is try to
> push the system into hibernation instead of going down hard. That
> *should* clear any disk caches as part of the graceful shutdown.
> But you're relying on a relatively fragile system now, once the
> battery is quite low who knows if that will even execute in the
> window of time you have left.
>

> And at this point it is not unreasonable to expect the user to perform
> some sort of action. Shutdown before the power completely dies, or
> plug in the power.

Sure, but the point is that if your database will get corrupted if that
doesn't happen, that's a mistake because sooner or later every such
portable system is going to end up there and not get plugged in on time.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com