Trapping 'invalid input syntax for integer'

From: Mario Splivalo <mario(dot)splivalo(at)megafon(dot)hr>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Trapping 'invalid input syntax for integer'
Date: 2009-09-10 12:23:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

Is there a way to trap this error in plpgsql code?

I have a function that accepts integer and character varying. Inside
that function I need to cast that varchar to integer. Of course,
sometimes that is not possible.
When I run function like that, I get this errror:

fidel=# select * from get_account_info_by_tan(1, 'mario');
ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: "mario"
CONTEXT: SQL statement "SELECT user_id FROM user_tans WHERE user_tan =
$1 ::bigint"
PL/pgSQL function "get_account_info_by_tan" line 8 at assignment

Now, I know I could change the SELECT so it looks like:

SELECT user_id FROM user_tans WHERE user_tan::varchar = $1

But, is there a way to trap above error usin EXCEPTION WHEN keyword in
plpgsql?

Mike