Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char"

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Sam Mason" <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char"
Date: 2009-09-02 18:37:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:

> Well, unless things have changed in recent versions of the standard
> and I've missed the change, a series of characters enclosed in
> apostrophes is what the standard calls a "character string literal"
> and defines it to be be related to character based types such as
> varchar.

That still seems to be the case in the draft of the 2003 standard I
have:

<general literal> ::=
<character string literal>
| <national character string literal>
| <Unicode character string literal>
| <binary string literal>
| <datetime literal>
| <interval literal>
| <boolean literal>
<character string literal> ::=
[ <introducer><character set specification> ]
}... ]

The ball's in your court to show something in the standard to say that
a character string literal is ever *not* to be taken as a character
string.

-Kevin