Re: WG: sql-porting-problem oracle to postgresql with UPDATE/IS NOT NULL

From: nha <lyondif02(at)free(dot)fr>
To: "Gau, Hans-Jürgen" <Hans-Juergen(dot)Gau(at)LGN(dot)Niedersachsen(dot)de>
Cc: PgSQL-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WG: sql-porting-problem oracle to postgresql with UPDATE/IS NOT NULL
Date: 2009-07-29 10:21:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

Le 29/07/09 11:48, Gau, Hans-Jürgen a écrit :
> Sorry, it's a lapse by copying and simplification the original version. that
> is correct:
>
> UPDATE table1 t1
> SET (t1.id) =
> (SELECT t3.id FROM table2 t2,table3 t3, table1 t1
> WHERE t3.field = t2.field
> AND t2.id = t1.id
> AND t1.id <> t3.id)
> WHERE
> (SELECT t3.id FROM table2 t2,table3 t3, table1 t1
> WHERE t3.field = t2.field
> AND t2.id = t1.id
> AND t1.id <> t3.id) IS NOT NULL;
>
> or in very simplified form:
>
> UPDATE table t1
> SET (t1.id)=(SELECT expression)
> WHERE (SELECT expression) IS NOT NULL;
>
> The SELECT expressions are identical.
>
> this syntax is allowed on postgresql?
>
> the solution brought by Daryl Richter has no effect.
>
> Regards, Hans
> [...]

There is one mistake syntactically speaking and according to PostgreSQL
specification for UPDATE statement: column specified in the SET part
cannot be qualified with an existing alias for the updated table. See also:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-update.html

Except this point, the query is valid although I am not sure the result
is always what you may expect because there is no relation between any
field of the updated table and the SELECT expression in the WHERE
clause; table1 is called (in fact, a copy of this table is implied) but
no column of this table is bound to one or more of the current updated
table1. I may mistake...

Regards.

--
nha / Lyon / France.