Re: Password?

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Ms swati chande <swativc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password?
Date: 2009-07-08 19:26:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Ms swati chande wrote:

> Made the following change in the postgresql.conf file:
> listen_addresses = 'xxx.xxx.x.x' (my current ip)
> and in pg_hba:
> host all all 'xxx.xxx.x.x' trust

> 6.Opened another command window.
> Now when I write in the new window (or even in the same),
> c:\postgresql\bin>createdb demo
> OR
> c:\postgresql\bin>createuser -S -d -R svc
> I am prompted for password, I don't know what to enter here.

try ...
createuser -h xxx.xxx.x.x -S -d -R svc

by default, its connecting to localhost (127.0.0.1) rather than your IP.

(note this behavior is different than on Unix/Linux type systems, where
by default it connects to a 'unix domain socket', which doesn't exist on
MS Windows).

If you only want to connect to this database from the same computer, I'd
suggest using 127.0.0.1/localhost rather than xxx.xxx.x.x in both the
listen_address and pg_hba...