Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?

From: Santiago Zarate <santiago(at)zarate(dot)net(dot)ve>
To: selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date: 2009-06-26 02:41:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hell-o

Selena Deckelmann escribió:
> Hi!
>
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> EnterpriseDB would like to do a survey of PostgreSQL users, at least the
>> ones they can reach through postgresql.org. The results of the survey,
>> anonymized, will be published under an OSS license for our use.
>
> That's really cool!

Considering the fact that it would allow us (the Pg Community) to give a
nice survey (i dont know of any yet.. besides the pgsql-cert one...)
along with the rest of it (analisys, graphs, and so on... )... and under
an OSS liscence... makes it even anazingly cool...

>> Under these circumstances, is it OK for EnterpriseDB to use
>> pgsql-announce, pgsql-general and/or postgresql.org News to advertise
>> the survey and solicit users for it? My personal thought is "yes". Yours?
>
> It's fine until they start using their product names in the survey. At
> that point, it's not much better than a push-poll advertising technique.
> If those questions which contain specific commercial
> product/branding names were removed, I think the survey would be fine.

I would suggest "Would you consider using a commercial standar/advanced
server (based on PostgreSQL)... i guess it would be usefull for both...
EnterpriseDB and the community...

> My other question is how the survey is presented - is it being labeled
> as a community produced survey? Or marketing research for Enterprise DB?

I have the same question...