Re: Multicolumn index corruption on 8.4 beta 2

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Floris Bos / Maxnet <bos(at)je-eigen-domein(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multicolumn index corruption on 8.4 beta 2
Date: 2009-06-09 17:14:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Floris,

> The website this setup is for has been running various previous versions
> of PostgreSQL with fsync=off since 2005.
> So I still expect it to work.

You've been lucky, that's all.

Our documentation has been clear, back to version 7.0, that turning
fsync=off carries the risk that you will have to recreate your entire
database in the event of unexpected shutdown. That's not new.

So, the operative question is: was 8.4 shut down with -immediate or
otherwise unexpectedly? If so, then we don't have a bug. If 8.4 was
never shut down, then we have some strange behavior which bears looking
into. And you've found a wierd corner case, which is what we count on
our users for.

Thanks for testing.

--
Josh Berkus