Re: Move databases from Pg 7.2.1 to 8.3.x

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)cyber-office(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move databases from Pg 7.2.1 to 8.3.x
Date: 2009-04-14 18:20:13
Lists: pgsql-general

John R Pierce wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

<snip />

> make sure pg_hba.conf on the old machine allows you to connect from the
> new machine's IP address as the user postgres (this may require setting
> a database password for the postgres user on the old machine if the
> 'host' authentication method so specifies), then from the new machine,
> after doing an initdb and starting the new version of postgres, and
> while logged on as the unix postgres user...

Been there done that and own may tee-shirts. :-)

The old system has been running for so long without any significant
issues I've forgotten if there ever was a password. I'm hoping
adding/changing the postgres password doesn't break anything else.

No screams so far!

> pg_dumpall -h oldmachine -U postgres | psql

Well, no pg_dumpall going to happen -- only pg_dump. The whole cluster
isn't going to the new machine.

But my command line from my workstation goes like this.

pg_dump -U postgres -h db.domain.tld -D -C -f Desktop/rt2.sql rt2

\\||/
Rod