Re: change oid of a pg_type

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: change oid of a pg_type
Date: 2009-04-11 21:59:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> No.
>
>> Then why are oids sent in some type's external binary format?
>
> How is that related?

Well, the format is called "external", yet the oid is internal. It seem
like a contradiction. Maybe I'm being to literal but i think external
format should present an identifier other servers can understand/map.

>> If you
>> can't fix oids, external format is useless to the outside world.
>
> You have to be prepared to find out what type the OID belongs to.
> There's at least one client library (maybe JDBC) that maintains
> a cache of a SELECT from pg_type for exactly this purpose. Most

Yeah, libpqtypes looks them up by schema.name as one registers them,
PQregisterTypeHandler. Although this works, it feel more like a work
around. I think it would be cleaner if a dns-like resolution was not
required.

Andrew