Re: Postgres: Starting Server in background mode

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: CM J <postgres(dot)newbie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres: Starting Server in background mode
Date: 2009-04-09 14:57:44
Lists: pgsql-general

CM J wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not want start postgres as a service.Postgres will bundled
> along with my application and i am only looking at starting it only from
> cmd line.If there are any options to disable this cmd window which
> appears after executing the "pg_ctl.exe start", that would be great !

The problem here is, Postgres is not an embedded database but really a
database management system. Therefore trying to bundle it with a desktop
application will usually cause more headaches. I'd suggest installing
Postgres as central service (as you know with web servers, application
servers, mail servers... ) and connect your clients to it or use a
desktop/linkable database for example firebird or whatever.

Regards
Tino