Re: Table has 22 million records, but backup doesn't see them

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Radcon Entec <radconentec(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table has 22 million records, but backup doesn't see them
Date: 2009-04-08 15:25:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Radcon Entec wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm running PostgreSQL 8.1 under Windows XP, looking at a database
> hosted on a machine running PostgreSQL under Windows Server 2003.
>
> The database has a table with three simple columns and 22 million
> rows. I am trying to back up that table by itself. However, pg_dump
> finishes almost instantly, obviously not backing up any data from the
> table. I've tried it from the DOS command line with and without the
> -a (data only) option, and from inside PGAdmin. Can anyone suggest
> what might cause this behavior?

What is the exact command and what is the output (I'll be surprised if
there is no output at all to either stdout or stderr)? Does pg_dumpall
run fine from the same machine? How about psql? Are you sure you are
hitting a base-table and not a view? Do the server logs show anything
interesting?

Cheers,
Steve