Re: Array types

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: John Lister <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Array types
Date: 2009-04-07 19:15:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Lister wrote:
> They all return arrays as text, is it possible to configure postgresql
> to return an array in native form (does postgresql support such a
> thing)? This is using both the simple and extended query forms - i
> couldn't see a way to say what return type i wanted in the protocol docs...

You need libpqtypes (client-side library). It requires a new 8.4
feature called libpq-events, but there is an 8.3 patch available. If
you willing to patch your 8.3.5 libpq client, than this should meet your
needs.

Downloads: http://pgfoundry.org/projects/libpqtypes/
Documentation: http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/

For arrays, libpqtypes gives you a PGresult where each tuple is an array
item. For composite arrays, each composite field is a PGresult field.

> This would seem much better in terms of performance, both size and
> speed(conversion).

That is true. Our testing has proven this. It also reduces the overall
coding effort.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC