custom tsearch2 parsers

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: custom tsearch2 parsers
Date: 2009-04-06 22:29:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It appears that I need to put together a custom parser for tsearch2.
The description here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/textsearch-parsers.html

makes it sound as though the default can be replaced, but I haven't
found any documentation of the API. Tom's post here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-03/msg00387.php

makes it sound, er..., non-trivial.

Is there any intended direction for this? I suspect that most people
with a need to parse the word boundaries differently would like to
effectively "subclass" the current parser, overriding its behavior for
specific things. Would it be feasible to allow multiple parsers to
handle what they know and pass the rest through, similar to the
dictionaries? I would love to have a parser at the front where I
could give it a regular expression which would match any statute
cites, and let the default parser do the rest.

Is anyone else interested in something like this?

-Kevin