Re: Vacuum Full

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Tino Schwarze" <postgresql(at)tisc(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum Full
Date: 2009-04-02 14:06:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> rare enough that we can suggest other workarounds when need arises.

Yeah, I can't remember ever being glad I tried a VACUUM FULL. I think
I once allowed it a week and a half to try to finish in a situation
where there wasn't enough disk space for a rewrite (CLUSTER or the
clever side-effect trick with ALTER TABLE). I even dropped all
indexes and the primary key first, since I figured I would just need
to rebuild them again if they were there, and it would slow down the
VACUUM FULL. In the end, we killed it and used pg_dump and psql.
That ran in about a day.

-Kevin