Re: TCP network cost

From: Linos <info(at)linos(dot)es>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TCP network cost
Date: 2009-03-01 18:19:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom Lane escribió:
> Linos <info(at)linos(dot)es> writes:
>> Tom Lane escribió:
>>> Does that number include connection startup overhead? (If it doesn't,
>>> it'd be pretty strange.)
>
>> This difference it is from the runtime of the query, i get this with \timing
>> parameter in psql,
>
> That's just weird --- ssl off should be ssl off no matter which knob you
> use to turn it off. Are you sure it's really off in the slow connections?
>
> regards, tom lane

Maybe i am missing something, i use the same command to connect to it from
localhost "psql -d database -h localhost" and in the pcap files i have captured
the protocol it is clear (with "ssl = false" or "ssl = true" either), but in the
debian machine with "ssl = true" in postgresql.conf you can see in the pcap file
big time jumps between data packets, psql commandline enables automatically ssl
if the server supports it? but if this is the case i should see encrypted
traffic in pcap files, and the problem should be the same in Arch Linux, no? If
you want that i make a local test explain me the steps and i will try here.

Regards,
Miguel Angel.