Removing a corrupt database by hand

From: Mike Christensen <imaudi(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Removing a corrupt database by hand
Date: 2009-02-19 03:58:03
Lists: pgsql-general

I have two questions actually..

First off, is there a way to remove a database if the postgres.exe
service won't start? It seems if I just delete the data\base\xxxxx
directory, then postgres will crash. Is there a way to drop a DB that
prevents postgres.exe from starting?

Second question, if I just re-install postgres and create a fresh new
instance, is there a way to import my old data files back into the
database? Thanks!

Mike