Re: Time range

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time range
Date: 2019-05-31 19:00:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Given that other built-in types have built-in range types, I think that the
> time and timetz types should also have built-in range types.

There's only a very small number of built-in range types:

postgres=# select typname from pg_type where typtype = 'r' order by 1;
typname
-----------
daterange
int4range
int8range
numrange
tsrange
tstzrange
(6 rows)

I don't think there's any appetite for creating built-in range types
across-the-board. The time and timetz types are pretty little used
(with good reason), so leaving them out of this list seems fine to me.