Re: referring to a different database from a trigger

From: pw <p(dot)willis(at)telus(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: referring to a different database from a trigger
Date: 2008-11-21 23:43:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM, ries van Twisk <pg(at)rvt(dot)dds(dot)nl> wrote:
>
> Note that there are no built in transactional symantics in such
> situations. You got to roll your own. And they may not work.

Yeah, that was what I was hoping for.

ie:(query between databases)

SELECT db_one.table_one.column_name_one,
db_two.table_oranges.column_fluff FROM db_one.table_one,
db_two.table_oranges WHERE
db_one.table_one.some_id=db_two.table_oranges.raisin_id;

<sigh> Oh well!, I'll just do it in code I guess....

I can see where the difficulties lay in this.
It would require a pipeline between the two databases
allowing one of them to share tables, difficult if there
are common oids pointing to completely different objects.
Oids/schemas would need to be aliased in some way to give them
pseudo-representation in the destination database.