WAL-files restore and nextval('PK')

From: Andreas Gaab <A(dot)Gaab(at)scanlab(dot)de>
Cc: Hans Joachim Münzer <H(dot)Muenzer(at)scanlab(dot)de>
Subject: WAL-files restore and nextval('PK')
Date: 2010-05-03 11:16:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear all,

after an WAL-restore of our Postgres DB, we observe seemingly wrong values of our sequences.

We have two postgres server (8.4) with pgpool in replication mode.

Recently we tested our restore procedure and played our WAL-files into the second server after an old file-system backup was restored.
Accidently, we aborted the starting server and had to restart it and therefore started WAL-replay again.

Now we observe, that the newly restored server has higher values in his sequences as the other server.

Could it be that during restart of the WAL-file restore SELECT nextval('PK') ; commands were executed again, whereas the data rows were already restored and thus leading to higher sequence numbers on the newly restored server?

Best regards for any comments!

Andreas

SCANLAB AG
Dr. Andreas Simon Gaab
Entwicklung * R & D

Siemensstr. 2a * 82178 Puchheim * Germany
Tel. +49 (89) 800 746-513 * Fax +49 (89) 800 746-199
mailto:a(dot)gaab(at)scanlab(dot)de * www.scanlab.de<http://www.scanlab.de>

Amtsgericht München: HRB 124707 * USt-IdNr.: DE 129 456 351
Vorstand: Georg Hofner (Sprecher), Christian Huttenloher, Norbert Petschik
Aufsichtsrat (Vorsitz): Dr. Hans J. Langer