Re: plpgsql returning resultset

From: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Subject: Re: plpgsql returning resultset
Date: 2008-09-02 21:19:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi again, I tried to take the "with" form of the function further to
complete the actual method and met with another error message which I
dont understand.

I have a number for tables (partitioned) from which I need to retrieve
data. Another table keeps track of which tables I should read from.
The tables are named table_X, where X is 1-N. from that I want to
retrieve some data from the selected tables and add it all into one
resultset which I return to the client.

The code is as follows:

create function get_profile(se_arg int4, st_arg int4, tr_arg int4)
returns setof table_part as
$$
declare
table_name text;
val_list table_part%rowtype;
num_list table_part_num_list%rowtype;
begin

for num_list in select num
from table_part_num_list
where se=se_arg
loop
table_name := 'table_part_'|| num_list.num;

select * into val_list
from table_name
where st=st_arg and tr=tr_arg;

return next val_list;
end loop;

return;
end;
$$ language 'plpgsql';

the error message I get when I try to create the function is:

psql:functions.sql:159: ERROR: syntax error at or near "$1"
LINE 1: select * from $1 where st= $2 and tr= $3
^
QUERY: select * from $1 where st= $2 and tr= $3
CONTEXT: SQL statement in PL/PgSQL function "get_profile" near line 15

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

regards

thomas