Re: How to use postgresql-jdbc rpm with Sun JDK

From: Kevin Murphy <murphy(at)genome(dot)chop(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to use postgresql-jdbc rpm with Sun JDK
Date: 2008-08-08 18:59:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Kevin Murphy <murphy(at)genome(dot)chop(dot)edu> writes:
>
>> Speaking as a near-ignoramus, would a simple RPM that wraps the binary
>> jar file make sense?
>>

> Sure, if you want to do it that way. We did in fact do it that way up
> till about 8.0. We (or at least I) moved away from it because of Red
> Hat's policy that source RPMs should contain only, well, source.
> But if you roll your own you certainly need not be bound by that
> ideology.

After looking in more detail at what the gcj packages install, I've
decided it's no big deal to just use Devrim's
postgresql-jdbc-8.3.603-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64.rpm package as is.

While the java-1.4.2-gcj-compat and libgcj RPMs are needlessly
installed, they don't interfere with Rocks' Java metapackage (roll), as
I had feared.

Thanks for the responses,
Kevin Murphy