Re: Is there a way to bypass sql?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Samantha Atkins <sjatkins(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a way to bypass sql?
Date: 2010-08-11 14:26:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Samantha Atkins <sjatkins(at)mac(dot)com> writes:
> In many OO projects the majority of the work on persistent objects is
> navigational and inserts with relatively few updates. Queries are
> usually mainly for initial working set in many such systems and little
> else. When retrieving an object given a persistent oid it would be
> better if I didn't need to go through even a prepared statement and
> especially it would be better if I did not need to translate column
> values or do subqueries to either construct my OO language object or
> construct my OO cache entry.

I think you are drastically overestimating the overhead of a prepared
query, and drastically underestimating the work involved in implementing
or maintaining a "bypass" solution. This really isn't going to be worth
your time.

If you think you don't need SQL at all anywhere, then go with something
like BDB.